If you’re ever looking to cite a research paper using the Modern Language Association ( MLA ) format, then you’ve come to the right place! In this guide, we will teach you everything you need to know about this popular citation style. Plus, we’ll provide examples so that you can easily understand how to use it. So sit back and buckle up—this is going to be a long one!
When citing a research paper, it is important to follow the Modern Language Association ( MLA ) format. This format is the most common and widely accepted way to cite research papers.
The MLA format consists of five main elements: the title of the work, the author, the publisher, the year of publication, and the source. Each of these elements must be included in your citation.
The title of the work should be followed by a comma and the name of the author. The author’s last name should be written first, and then the given name.
Examples: “Thesis Statement,” by Jane O’Brien; “Gender Differences in Mathematical Literacy Achievement,” by Barbara J. Mohr and Jane L. Kowalczyk; “From Mice to Men: Translating Research into Practice,” edited by Judith L. Martin and Sandra L. Hammond
Publishers should always be listed after the author and title of the work. They should be listed in parentheses and followed by a comma.
Examples: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press (1989), From Mice to Men: Translating Research into Practice
Year of publication should always be included in your citations. It should be listed after the publisher and followed by a comma.
Examples: (1989), From Mice to Men: Translating Research into Practice
Sources should always be listed in reverse chronological order, starting with the most recent source. Sources can be books, articles, papers, or unpublished manuscripts.
Examples: (Martin et al., 1989), (Mohr and Kowalczyk, 1997), (O’Brien, 2007)
When citing a research paper in MLA format, you need to use the correct capitalization and punctuation.
A research paper should be cited using the following format:
Author’s last name first, followed by the title of the paper, then the year of publication.
Smith, J. (2013). Thesis statement. Retrieved from http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/thesis-statement-2013/.
A research paper must have a thesis statement. This statement should explain the main idea of the paper, and it should be clear from the title and body of the paper.
A thesis statement must be based on the information in the title and body of the paper. It should be concise, and it should be clear to the reader. It should also be easy to remember.
There are a few requirements for a thesis statement. It should be based on what is stated in the title and body of the paper, it should be easy to remember, and it should be based on what is said in the paper.
Here are some example thesis statements for different types of papers:
“In this paper, I will discuss the benefits of using garlic as a vegetable additive.”
“This paper will explore the correlation between student engagement and student success.”
“The main purpose of this paper is to demonstrate that healthy eating can prevent chronic diseases.”
When citing sources in MLA format, always begin your sentence with the author’s last name (last name first), followed by a comma and the volume number or the edition of the work. For example:
Thomas, C. (1997). The plague story. New York, NY: Scholastic Press, (1st ed.) v.
If the source has more than one author, list the authors’ last names alphabetically within a parentheses after the title. For example:
(Thomas, C., & Neuman, E. (1997). The plague story. New York, NY: Scholastic Press).
After the title, list the source’s page number(s). If there is no page number, list the article title. For example:
“The plague story” (Thomas, C., 1997).
If you are quoting a passage from a text or article, you must include the text in quotation marks. For example:
“The plague story” (Thomas, 1997).
The Body of the Paper
When citing a research paper, it is important to focus on the main points of the paper. All citations should be placed at the appropriate place in the text, and they should be numbered consecutively. The title of the journal article, book, or other source should be followed by the author’s last name and page number(s), if applicable. If a source is a chapter in a larger work, include the title of the larger work and the author’s last name and page number(s), if applicable. If a source is a Web page, include the title of the Web page and the author’s last name and URL, if applicable. Italicize all titles of journals, books, and other sources, but do not underline them.
When citing a research paper, it is important to use the Modern Language Association ( MLA ) format. This guide will teach you how to do just that.
To cite a research paper using MLA format, begin by identifying the author(s) and the title of the work. After that, provide the complete citation, including the author’s last name, first name, and affiliation. For works in languages other than English, follow the same guidelines, but use the appropriate journal title or title of the work. The publication date can be found on the copyright page or on the title page of the book.
It is also important to include the page number on which the information can be found. In some cases, you may not have this information available. In these cases, you can find the page number in the text itself. If you are citing a work in a book, you can also look at the index. If possible, include the volume and issue number as well. Finally, list any distinguishing titles after the main title of the work.
If you are citing a work in more than one language, use a parallel citation for each language. Make sure to list each language followed by a period (e.g., “[French article]”). If you are citing multiple sources that are not published in journals or books, provide an alternate form of reference (e.g., Internet sources should be cited as URLs ).
When completing your research paper, it is important to keep everything organized and concise. To do this, make use of tables and footnotes whenever necessary. Additionally, be sure to proofread your work for mistakes before submitting it to your professor.
By following the guidelines in this guide, you will be able to cite your research papers using the MLA format. This format is the most common for academic papers, and it allows you to easily track your sources.
- The Power of Seeking Feedback: Why You Should Never Underestimate its Impact on Personal and Professional GrowthIntroduction: The Importance of Seeking Feedback in an Ever-Evolving World Feedback is an invaluable tool for personal and professional growth. Whether it’s seeking feedback from mentors, colleagues, or even clients, the insights gained can provide valuable guidance and help us improve in various aspects of our lives.When it comes to personal growth, feedback allows us… Read more: The Power of Seeking Feedback: Why You Should Never Underestimate its Impact on Personal and Professional Growth
- Unlocking Value: Choosing the Perfect Price Package for Your Product or ServiceWhen it comes to selecting the perfect price package, product, or service, it’s crucial to consider the value it brings to the table. Making an informed decision is key when choosing between options, as you want to ensure that you are getting the best bang for your buck. By carefully weighing the benefits and features… Read more: Unlocking Value: Choosing the Perfect Price Package for Your Product or Service
- Mastering the Art of Effective Proofreading: Essential Tips for Spotless WritingIntroduction: The Importance of Effective Proofreading in Creating Flawless Content In today’s fast-paced digital landscape, where information is consumed at lightning speed, flawless writing has become crucial for effective communication. Whether you are crafting a business proposal, composing an important email, or creating compelling content for your website, the importance of proofreading cannot be overstated.… Read more: Mastering the Art of Effective Proofreading: Essential Tips for Spotless Writing
- The Importance of Proofreading: Elevating the Quality of Your PapersIntroduction: Understanding the Crucial Role of Proofreading in Paper Writing In the world of writing, accuracy and polish are paramount. Whether you’re crafting an important document, a research paper, or even a simple email, ensuring that your message is clear and error-free is crucial. This is where proofreading comes in. Proofreading plays a vital role… Read more: The Importance of Proofreading: Elevating the Quality of Your Papers
- The Power of Consistency: How Steadily Improving Can Lead to SuccessIn order to achieve consistent success and steadily improve towards long-term goals, it is crucial to maintain a strong sense of perseverance and discipline. These qualities are the driving force that separates the achievers from the dreamers. Consistency is the key ingredient that ensures progress over time, allowing us to overcome obstacles and reach new… Read more: The Power of Consistency: How Steadily Improving Can Lead to Success
- Enhance Your Online Courses with Top-Notch Course Writing Services: The Key to Engaging and Effective E-Learning ContentIntroduction: The Importance of High-Quality Course Writing in Online Education In today’s fast-paced world, online education has become increasingly popular and necessary. As more individuals seek to enhance their skills and knowledge from the comfort of their own homes, the demand for engaging course material has skyrocketed. This is where online courses and course writing… Read more: Enhance Your Online Courses with Top-Notch Course Writing Services: The Key to Engaging and Effective E-Learning Content
- The Impact on Performance and Success: How Drives ResultsThe remarkable impact of utilizing AI-powered writing assistants cannot be overstated. Their exceptional performance in delivering top-notch content consistently is what sets them apart. By leveraging the power of artificial intelligence, these writing assistants have proven to be instrumental in achieving unparalleled success in various industries. Furthermore, their ability to drive tangible results is truly… Read more: The Impact on Performance and Success: How Drives Results
- The Importance of Writing and Proofreading Essays: Enhancing Your Academic SuccessIntroduction: Understanding the Significance of Effective Essay Writing Essay writing is a fundamental skill that plays a crucial role in academic success. Whether you’re a high school student, college undergraduate, or even a professional pursuing higher education, the ability to compose well-crafted essays is essential. It not only demonstrates your understanding of the subject matter… Read more: The Importance of Writing and Proofreading Essays: Enhancing Your Academic Success
- Discover the Top 5 Websites for Excellent Course Writing Services: Your Ultimate GuideIntroduction: The Importance of High-Quality Course Writing Services In today’s fast-paced world, online education has become increasingly popular, and with it comes the need for high-quality course content. Professional course writers are the driving force behind this essential component of online learning. These experts possess a deep understanding of instructional design and are skilled at… Read more: Discover the Top 5 Websites for Excellent Course Writing Services: Your Ultimate Guide