If you’re ever looking to cite a research paper using the Modern Language Association ( MLA ) format, then you’ve come to the right place! In this guide, we will teach you everything you need to know about this popular citation style. Plus, we’ll provide examples so that you can easily understand how to use it. So sit back and buckle up—this is going to be a long one!
When citing a research paper, it is important to follow the Modern Language Association ( MLA ) format. This format is the most common and widely accepted way to cite research papers.
The MLA format consists of five main elements: the title of the work, the author, the publisher, the year of publication, and the source. Each of these elements must be included in your citation.
The title of the work should be followed by a comma and the name of the author. The author’s last name should be written first, and then the given name.
Examples: “Thesis Statement,” by Jane O’Brien; “Gender Differences in Mathematical Literacy Achievement,” by Barbara J. Mohr and Jane L. Kowalczyk; “From Mice to Men: Translating Research into Practice,” edited by Judith L. Martin and Sandra L. Hammond
Publishers should always be listed after the author and title of the work. They should be listed in parentheses and followed by a comma.
Examples: Bedford/St. Martin’s Press (1989), From Mice to Men: Translating Research into Practice
Year of publication should always be included in your citations. It should be listed after the publisher and followed by a comma.
Examples: (1989), From Mice to Men: Translating Research into Practice
Sources should always be listed in reverse chronological order, starting with the most recent source. Sources can be books, articles, papers, or unpublished manuscripts.
Examples: (Martin et al., 1989), (Mohr and Kowalczyk, 1997), (O’Brien, 2007)
When citing a research paper in MLA format, you need to use the correct capitalization and punctuation.
A research paper should be cited using the following format:
Author’s last name first, followed by the title of the paper, then the year of publication.
Smith, J. (2013). Thesis statement. Retrieved from http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/thesis-statement-2013/.
A research paper must have a thesis statement. This statement should explain the main idea of the paper, and it should be clear from the title and body of the paper.
A thesis statement must be based on the information in the title and body of the paper. It should be concise, and it should be clear to the reader. It should also be easy to remember.
There are a few requirements for a thesis statement. It should be based on what is stated in the title and body of the paper, it should be easy to remember, and it should be based on what is said in the paper.
Here are some example thesis statements for different types of papers:
“In this paper, I will discuss the benefits of using garlic as a vegetable additive.”
“This paper will explore the correlation between student engagement and student success.”
“The main purpose of this paper is to demonstrate that healthy eating can prevent chronic diseases.”
When citing sources in MLA format, always begin your sentence with the author’s last name (last name first), followed by a comma and the volume number or the edition of the work. For example:
Thomas, C. (1997). The plague story. New York, NY: Scholastic Press, (1st ed.) v.
If the source has more than one author, list the authors’ last names alphabetically within a parentheses after the title. For example:
(Thomas, C., & Neuman, E. (1997). The plague story. New York, NY: Scholastic Press).
After the title, list the source’s page number(s). If there is no page number, list the article title. For example:
“The plague story” (Thomas, C., 1997).
If you are quoting a passage from a text or article, you must include the text in quotation marks. For example:
“The plague story” (Thomas, 1997).
The Body of the Paper
When citing a research paper, it is important to focus on the main points of the paper. All citations should be placed at the appropriate place in the text, and they should be numbered consecutively. The title of the journal article, book, or other source should be followed by the author’s last name and page number(s), if applicable. If a source is a chapter in a larger work, include the title of the larger work and the author’s last name and page number(s), if applicable. If a source is a Web page, include the title of the Web page and the author’s last name and URL, if applicable. Italicize all titles of journals, books, and other sources, but do not underline them.
When citing a research paper, it is important to use the Modern Language Association ( MLA ) format. This guide will teach you how to do just that.
To cite a research paper using MLA format, begin by identifying the author(s) and the title of the work. After that, provide the complete citation, including the author’s last name, first name, and affiliation. For works in languages other than English, follow the same guidelines, but use the appropriate journal title or title of the work. The publication date can be found on the copyright page or on the title page of the book.
It is also important to include the page number on which the information can be found. In some cases, you may not have this information available. In these cases, you can find the page number in the text itself. If you are citing a work in a book, you can also look at the index. If possible, include the volume and issue number as well. Finally, list any distinguishing titles after the main title of the work.
If you are citing a work in more than one language, use a parallel citation for each language. Make sure to list each language followed by a period (e.g., “[French article]”). If you are citing multiple sources that are not published in journals or books, provide an alternate form of reference (e.g., Internet sources should be cited as URLs ).
When completing your research paper, it is important to keep everything organized and concise. To do this, make use of tables and footnotes whenever necessary. Additionally, be sure to proofread your work for mistakes before submitting it to your professor.
By following the guidelines in this guide, you will be able to cite your research papers using the MLA format. This format is the most common for academic papers, and it allows you to easily track your sources.
- The Right Way To Choose A Writing Agency For Your ProjectA writer can choose to work for a company that offers writing services, or one that does not. Some companies offer both and some only offer writing services. A writer who chooses to work with a company that offers writing services will have the best of both worlds: he can work with a company that […]
- How Does Researching on Criticize and Evaluate the Work of Essay Writing Services Help You?Critique Your Own Writing – Use Critique and Evaluate Essay Writing Service to Get an Idea About Your Own Skills A good essay writing service should be able to write high quality essays in a timely manner. However, the prices of these services are not cheap. They take a lot of time and effort to […]
- Pursuing the Dream of a Master’s Degree in Business ComputingWhat is a Dissertation Assistant? A Dissertation assistance service is a type of service that enables students to complete their dissertations in a shorter time. The services are usually offered by the academic institutions or organizations and are designed to help students with their dissertations without the need for them to be tutored. Dissertation assistance […]
- “The Circumstances That Will Help You Succeed”Are you looking for ways to improve your life and achieve success? If so, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll be discussing the circumstances that will help you succeed. We’ll include tips on setting goals, staying motivated, and overcoming obstacles. So, whether you’re just starting out or you’re looking for ways to […]
- “The Secret to Choosing the Best Essay Writing Service That Works for You”Are you tired of unreliable essay writing services? If so, you may want to consider using a specific type of essay writing service that is designed specifically for you. In this article, we will discuss the different types of essay writing services and how to choose the best one for your needs. What are the […]
- What to Do If You Fail to Finish Your DissertationIf you’re struggling to finish your dissertation, there are a few things you can do to try and salvage the project. First, speak to your advisor about possibly getting help completing the last few pages. Second, consider seeking outside help from a professional research assistant. Finally, if all else fails, you may be able to […]
- The Importance of Being Critical when Choosing an Essay Writing ServiceMany students find it hard to decide which essay writing service to use. But it’s important to be critical when choosing a service, as not all services are created equal. Look for services that offer clear and concise writing, as well as feedback and revision options. What is the importance of choosing an essay writing […]
- “How to Avoid These 10 Common Grammar Mistakes”If you want to avoid common grammar mistakes, it’s important to know how to properly use the English language. By following these tips, you’ll be sure to create clear and error-free writing. Avoid using contractions when you need to use full sentences. Contractions can often be seen as informal and impolite. Full sentences are better […]
- “The Best Essay Editing and Proofreading Services: What You Need to Know”Looking for a reputable essay editing and proofreading service? Don’t miss out on the important information in this comprehensive guide. What are the different types of services available? Essay editing and proofreading services can be broken down into three main categories: general, academic, and specific. General essay editing and proofreading services are designed to help […]